Monday, April 14, 2008

Stealing God's Thunder

I've made a new friend recently who seems like a really cool guy to get to know. He volunteers with me on Mondays and occasionally I'll run into him on campus and we'll have a few minutes to talk before he has to head to class. He's a great Christian guy. I mean really on fire for God and sharing it with all his friends and pretty much everyone else in his path. He's all about witnessing and doing all he can to show God to everyone else. How awesome!!

Recently though, I've been getting kind of frustrated with him. I know about a good majority of his clubs that he's involved in and what he likes and what he believes in but he's yet to ask about me at all. Every time we talk it's always about theology and witnessing and religion and I just wish that sometimes he'd ask about me. I was first going to title this post "too much of a good thing..." because my line of thinking for the majority of the evening has been about how maybe being too focused on witnessing and religion to the point where it bypasses building a good friendship isn't a good thing. But as I have talked it out to a few close friends I've come to realize that all I'm doing in entertaining that line of thought is trying to steal God's thunder. It's not about me. We are two Christians and when we get together, we should be focused on our Creator. Not on each other. His passion to talk about God in every day conversation whenever he can is an awesome trait. Especially on a campus like IU where not everyone is willing to entertain such topics. And so when we as Christians get together, that should be all we talk about. God and his amazing-ness.

God, I'm sorry for being selfish and letting my personal desire for the spotlight attempt to override your rightful place of being the main focus.

No comments: